Interview Assignment

Interview Assignment

Introduction-After reading your beautiful “Where I’m From” poem. I noticed you shared many interesting things about you and what you love. But I want to learn more things by asking you more questions about your life  so I could get to know you better.if there’s a question you don’t want to answer feel free to skip it and go on to the next one. i hope you like my questions   

Thank you

1. Where were you born and What is your ethnic background?

I was born in a small town in Ecuador. I come from Hispanic background. My native language is Spanish. MY parents are mestizos. My Grandparents speak Quechua which is Native language from Ecuador. I didn’t grow up close to them so I Didn’t have the chance to learn.

2. Tell me about your childhood, what was the best part about it and worst moment?

When I think about my childhood memories that come to me are my birthdays. My mother has a tradition of celebrating every birthday for me. She always bought me a cake, and balloons. But the special birthday was when I turned 15, at this age I finally met my father. He came to America when I was 6 months old.And It wasn’t until 15 that I finally got to meet and hug him.

The worst moment was when my grandmother had an accident, she was in the hospital for about 6 months, she was in a coma. My mother was spending time with her and I, my brother had to take care of us. We have to stay at home and go to school. It was a sad moment for the whole family. Thank God she recovered and now she is still with us

3. What do you value most and why?

What I value the most is my family, thanks to them I have reached where I am. They are my pillars. Every day I ask God to take care of them and give them health. They have been there supporting me in the best and worst moments of my life and I love to share moments, experiences with them. 

Another thing that I value is the opportunity of Education. I am grateful to my parents and all my teachers and people who have helped me to be here.

4. How did you celebrate holidays? Did you have some special holiday ?

I love holidays. The two celebrations that I enjoy the most are Merry Christmas and Carnival. For Christmas my family gets together to sing Christmas carols, play games, dance, and open gifts. Carnival is a holiday that is celebrated in Ecuador, it is a festival that happens for a few days in February or early March. There are parades through the streets, music, dances, spiritual events, a lot of food. 

5. What is your favorite food to eat and how often do you eat it?

I love seafood. I really like fish, shrimp and crabs. I usually eat shrimp at least once a week. I also love chicken rice. When I travel the best part is the food. I love exploring the gastronomy of my country and other countries. Some traditions that I love from my country are Hornado, Encebollado, Chaulafan, Cebviche. Finally I love Colombian food, Bandeja Paisa.

6. What are some memories that you can’t forget ?

I think The worst moment was in my 12 years when I had a car accident and had to be in the hospital for one week. Adding to that as a consequence of the accident six months I had nose surgery it had been fractured. OMG I still remember my nose surgery. It was one of the most painful moments of my life. 

7. Can you think of any funny stories from your childhood?

LOL no

8. What is your favorite hobby?

I love to hang out with friends. I’m an adventure girl. I like danger. But since the quarantine started I stopped going out so now I enjoy playing video games with my brother. We play Fortnite. I am not that good but it is just funny. I also love playing handball. It is my favorite sport. I stopped playing since I left high school. I missed it. 

9. Was it hard moving from your country to America. If so, what was the hardest part about it?

It was difficult. To be honest, when I found out that I was coming to America, I didn’t think about the change I would have. It hurt so much to leave my friends, my family, my home. Seeing tears running down my grandparents’ cheeks was so painful. After that I remember my first day in my math class when the teacher started talking, I was completely lost. I did not know English, I knew few words, but that was not enough to communicate. I had no friends, I didn’t like food, I got depressed. I used to cry every night waiting to wake up in my room in Ecuador. I think it took me a year to adjust to the change.

10. What did you think you were going to be when you grew up?

Since I was little I thought I was going to be a doctor, I always liked the idea of helping people. However, as I grew up, I realized that I did not have the qualities since I cannot tolerate blood and injections make me desperate. And now that I get to college I’m still undecided. But I am considering things, subjects in which I feel that I am good. I was thinking about an architect or chemical engineering major. 

11. What have you learned from life? The most important things?

About life I have learned to take advantage of every opportunity. Value time because we are here today, but tomorrow who knows?

I have learned that when someone hurts you, it is wise to forgive as it is medicine for your soul.

12. Have you ever had an experience that changed your life and what was that experience?

13. What are you most grateful for in your life?

I am grateful for having my family. 

Having the chance to go to College

For being healthy

For having chance to go to visit my grandparents in Ecuador

For having the basic needs
Conclusion– After reading the answers i could say i really enjoyed your answers because you shared a lot about you and your personal life. I also could say we have many similarities. For example when you stated that you saw your father after 15 years. For me I stayed 8 until I met my father in america. Another moment i could relate to you when you talked about breaking your nose.When i was 11 i was playing soccer and got tickled and i slammed my face on a concrete floor causing me to get bell’s palsy. That’s when your mouth tilts to one side of your face. I had to stay for 2 months until I got surgery. Even though we from different parts of the worlds we almost share the same story